Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Father's Day


Yesterday was Father’s Day. I went to the mall and I saw a lot of kids with their dads. And I can’t help but imagine what would it be like if daddy is still with us. I have a lot of questions in mind like ~ Are we going to have a lunch date? Or Are we going to spend it at home and watch a movie or something? Or how about dinner date for the whole family?” I miss celebrating father’s day. I guess it’s just normal if its your first time. I’m not sure if you all know that I love to daydream…that’s why I always daydream…it’s my way of escaping from the realities of life. I’m the kind of person who have a lot and strong imagination about things, life and almost everything.

For the past few weeks I always daydream that my dad is still alive and I usually spend some quality time with him. I dream of the things that he usually do, things that we used to talk about and the million stories that I would like to tell him. I also dreamt of sharing wonderful pictures with him, because I really love pictures and I’m into scrapbooks. I love making them. How I wish they can come true but I know that can never happen. And it’s kinda scary for a dead person to come back to life..that’s eeerrrrrie!!!

I have included an article on how “Father’s Day” started….
The Story of Father's Day
Father's Day, contrary to popular misconception, was not established as a holiday in order to help greeting card manufacturers sell more cards. In fact when a "father's day" was first proposed there were no Father's Day cards!

Mrs. John B. Dodd, of Washington, first proposed the idea of a "father's day" in 1909. Mrs. Dodd wanted a special day to honor her father, William Smart. William Smart, a Civil War veteran, was widowed when his wife (Mrs. Dodd's mother) died in childbirth with their sixth child. Mr. Smart was left to raise the newborn and his other five children by himself on a rural farm in eastern Washington state. It was after Mrs. Dodd became an adult that she realized the strength and selflessness her father had shown in raising his children as a single parent.

The first Father's Day was observed on June 19, 1910 in Spokane Washington. At about the same time in varioustowns and cities across American other people were beginning to celebrate a "father's day." In 1924 President Calvin Coolidge supported the idea of a national Father's Day. Finally in 1966 President Lyndon Johnson signed a presidential proclamation declaring the 3rd Sunday of June as Father's Day.

Father's Day has become a day to not only honor your father, but all men who act as a father figure. Stepfathers, uncles, grandfathers, and adult male friends are all honored on Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PinkChinadoll's bookshelf: read

Up to Me
Wallbanger
Wanted
The Secret of Ella and Micha
The Marriage Mistake
The Marriage Trap
Fallen Too Far
Unlikely Allies
Ride with Me
Graffiti Moon
Teach Me
Almost
Graffiti Moon
Love's Rhythm
The Edge of Never
My Life Next Door
Hopeless
The Marriage Bargain
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
Losing It


PinkChinadoll's favorite books »